Friday, October 7, 2011

Does Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder?

Absence makes the heart grow fonder? Does anyone really know what that means? I'd like to know what moron came up with that line.

On September 11, 2001 this country was attacked, the world stood by and watched a country fall to their knee's. I sat in my living room and watched the north tower burn; my heart was saddened as I watched people jump from the building to their death instead of burning in the flames. I then watched in horror as yet another plane crashed into the South tower. At that instant I realized our country was under attack in which my fear turned to rage and anger.

Grow Calendar 2011

From that day on for months I watched a country of people unite, I saw a government both Republican and Democrats Unite as one and both Government and People Unite as one entity. We as a people knew what needed to be done to secure our boarders and hunt down the people who attacked us. We begged the Government to act and act now. They did, the Military was called to action, young men and women were deployed overseas to hunt and destroy the ones at fault. Both People and Government rose to the cause and we had 110% Unity. The tragedy was played over and over in the news for months after and people stood by, flown the American Flag, tied yellow ribbons out side their house. I was proud to be an American.

A few years went by and the news now shows everything but that day. People took down the flags, and ribbons and now complain about our Government for keeping our military over here in the Middle East They have forgotten the REASON why! Our men and women are dying in combat, being killed by the same people who attacked us on 911, but yet the same people who cried to avenge that day now protest, because they FORGOT. These men and women die protecting our freedoms in which we live today, the freedom to vote, freedom of free speech, freedom to feel safe but yet the people protest saying we serve and die for the wrong reasons. Have we forgotten what that reason is because 911 hasn't occurred again because we the military are standing strong.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder? I spoke to a shipmate who serves under me yesterday. This shipmate was distraught, upset and on the verge of a nervous break down. Talking to him a story emerges that is un so common in our world of separation. His girlfriend had told him that she could not wait and wanted to date someone else. He cried that they were in love. When we deployed she wrote most every day, sent him cards, and called him on his cell. But as time went on he noticed the letters got less and the cards stop. The phone calls were far from few and he feared the worst as many of us always do. Then the blow came, as she couldn't take the separation. He wasn't there, couldn't see him and wanted more then just waiting around. We talked and explained to him during my 20 years in the military the end result is not uncommon because like 911 the nostalgia wears off and they forget the reason you're here.

I read the Military Paper everyday and see a list of American Military Men and Women who had lost their lives in the line of duty serving their Country. I then think of the shipmate I spoke to. I pray to God that the men who gave the ultimate sacrifice for their Country had gotten that last letter from their loved ones, and that they didn't wait to write figuring they could write later or wait to send it out because they will never again get that chance. Their procrastination was their own demise. Have we really forgotten why? And dose "Absence really make the heart grow fonder" or does it make us forget and want to move on.

A stiff reminder to my self is the American Flag I fly, The 911 pin I wear on my uniform, and the American boy who proudly gave his life last night for what he believed in, His Country. I just pray to God his Country believed in him, because that American boy could be any of us who, Serve to Protect. Tell your loved ones you love them any chance you get, because it may be the last. And don't forget because we haven't.

So I ask again, Does Absence Make The Heart Grow Fonder?

Does Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder?

Grow Calendar 2011

0 comments:

Post a Comment